This is a neat brochure put out by Schwinn in 1974 to promote bicycle safety. They mention “12 rules of the road”:
- Obey all applicable traffic regulations, signs, signals and markings.
- Observe all local ordinances pertaining to bicycles.
- Keep right: drive with traffic, no against it. Drive single file.
- Watch out for drain grates, soft shoulders and other road surface hazards.
- Watch out for car doors opening, or for cars pulling into traffic.
- Don’t carry passengers or packages that interfere with your vision or control.
- Never hitch a ride on a truck or other vehicle.
- Be extremely careful at intersections, especially when making a left turn.
- Use hand signals to indicate turning or stopping.
- Protect yourself at night with the required reflectors and lights.
- Drive a safe bike. have it inspected to insure good mechanical condition.
- Drive your bike defensively; watch out for the other guy.
There is also a check-list to make sure your bicycle is in safe working condition.
Vintage bicycles and parts for sale on eBay!